2023-2024 | Union Competition Details for Participating Clubs
Mission: More Folks Playing Better Rugby
Overall Scheduling: Teams are free to schedule their matches for the women’s union competition. These matrix (competitive) matches must be finalized and scheduled before August 1.
D2 | 2023-2024
D2 Structure: The 4 teams will play each other once for seeding into the union championship (3 matrix games/ea) with the winner of the union playoffs moving onto the national championship series. Games must be played before April 2023 with the first week of April reserved as a make-up weekend. D2 competition matches must follow matrix / league rules that are specified in our union by-laws (regulation articles pg 19-24) and USA Club Rugby policies. These matches are considered qualifying games towards the USA Rugby championship series.
- Chattanooga Queens
- Knoxville Minx
- Nashville Stone Lions
- Memphis Flamingos
D3 | 2023-2024
D3 Purpose: Prepare developing teams for D2 by organizing a base competition to help foster recruitment and skill. Goal is for teams to move towards division 2.
- Encourage growth by allowing probationary clubs into D3 upon application approval
- Increase recruitment, retention, and buy-in from players by structuring a new competition outlet
- Allow players to play and gain experience py providing an environment without matrix restrictions
- Rolling substitutions
- Remove minimum roster requirement
- With this, matching and/or filling in numbers is expected
- Allow the option to fill-in with registered players from other teams
- With this, expectation is if the team does not have numbers
D3 Structure: The 7 teams will be divided into a North and South pool. Each team will play teams in their pool competitively for seeding. The union championship at the end of the D3 series will crown a union champion. Cross-pool social play is encouraged and D3 teams are welcome to play more games socially within their pool and with D2 teams. You must note on the schedule which matches are the “competitive/matrix” dates. For the newer clubs, make sure you share your schedule with your referee society assignments.
D3 Additional Rules: To reward teams able to field a 15s side from their roster at their league match: an extra bonus point will be given to the team whether they win or lose. Submitting your roster and RX information (listed below) on game day and confirming it with the opposing team & referee will allow us to record this.
But also to continue to encourage development growth, matrix rules are still waived. Work together to ensure all matches are as close to XVs as possible by way of filling in or matching numbers. New this year: Do not go below 10s. Contact me if there’s an issue or rescheduling conversations.
Recap of Additions:
- Bonus point for bringing a full 15s roster to match day
- Do not go below 10s
- Include G on issues and/or initial rescheduling conversations
D3 North Pool Teams:
- Birmingham Steel
- McMinn County
D3 South Pool Teams:
- New Orleans Half Moons
- Louisiana Lagniappe
- Panama City Beach